Friday, July 06, 2007

Hot

It was a record-breaking 108 degrees yesterday in the city 15 minutes down the road.

Here, it was only 104. Yay for us.

A friend of mine returned from a ten-day trip out of state to find his house a balmy 98 degrees. After two hours of AC, it was a pleasant 94.

And it had to be about 100 degrees at the fireworks show on Wednesday night--even though it was at 9:30 p.m.

This is my favorite and least favorite time of year here. I love that the town empties out and gets a very small-town feel, but I hate the heat. (May I remind you that at about this time last year, our AC went out? And the university decided not to cool "non-essential" buildings--meaning the (largely humanities) classroom and office buildings, while the sciences basked in 65-degree glory? And that I'm switching jobs and will soon be housed in one such building? I am hoping for less heat-related drama this year.)

On the plus side, the local buses are free because it's a spare-the-air day. If you think I'm going to be a loyal bicycle commuter in this heat, you have another think coming. . .

1 comment:

JM said...

It was 100 in my new northern home. I remarked to myself that if I wanted to bake in 100 degree weather, I would have stayed in California with my air conditioner.

Hang in there [insert kitten poster].