Sunday, January 29, 2006

Final thoughts on moving

1. It's very, very weird to move from one place to another with the exact same floor plan. On these overcast days, I keep forgetting I'm in the new place. Aside from the miraculously spotless carpet, an added ceiling fan, a front door that's painted on the insude, and the fact that the doorknob in my bathroom turns in the opposite direction, everything is pretty much the same. Downright surreal.

2. The last thing I carried from the old place to the new one? The vacuum. Home is where the vacuum cleaner is.

3. As happy as I am in our newly renovated, sunlit apartment, I'm already feeling a bit nostalgic for the old place, for the simple reason that it's the one to which we brought home our baby. (He's growing so fast. Waaaah!) The last light I turned off in the old place was the Lucas light, the dim one over the sink that we left on through the night to facilitate diaper changes and midnight (and 2 a.m. and 4 a.m.) feedings. Goodnight little light.

1 comment:

ArticulateDad said...

I can relate. This afternoon, when I was killing a last 10 minutes before picking up my overworked wife from her two hours of work at the office today, after having run a few errands with the boys at K-Mart & Home Depot, I just had to go a little out of my way to drive through the parking lot of the condo complex where we used to live, when #1 was born.