Thursday, January 19, 2006


OK, so I know adjuncts have it bad. But I didn't know how bad outside of my own university system. Since my tenure-track academic job search isn't going well, and since Mr. Trillwing and I have talked about moving closer to my hometown so that Lucas can grow up in an extended family, I thought I'd check out the openings at the local Cal State.

"Oh look, openings in an interdisciplinary department. Yay!"

scans for courses

"Looks good!"

verifies qualifications


searches for salary info

$600-$750/month? Before taxes?! Sans health care? (That's roughly half of what TAs at my university bring home, folks. And we get health insurance and tuition remission.)

WTF?!?! No wonder a friend of mine has cobbled together 20+ units of Cal State and city college teaching during some semesters.

scurries off to pour libations at labor union altar


Breena Ronan said...

Hahaha! I love teaching but not that much! Try searching for a tenure track community college position. I have been told that the pay raises happen more quickly than in university systems.

ClizBiz said...

Oh, dear. This is troubling. I do have a friend who has been toiling away in the journalism department at CSULB and it is mighty frustrating, not to mention anti-lucrative. Still, let me know if you'd like to contact her for advice.