Monday, May 08, 2006

Things you don't want to hear over e-mail

#1: That Tough Reader will be out of town the second half of May, and thus won't be able to provide comments on any revisions of the diss.

#2: That Fantastic Adviser agrees with Tough Reader that taking the summer to revise the dissertation will make it a better book.

This means I won't actually graduate on June 15 as I had anticipated.

Of course, I agree with their assessment: more revision time will, indeed, make for a better dissertation. But ack! I could taste the completion.

So: I will walk at commencement in June. I will turn in the diss over the summer. The official degree conferral date will be September 15.




In other news, I won a university-wide graduate student teaching award. I think it's one of those things where just about everyone whose department nominates them gets an award (there are 10-15 recipients), but it's still nice to be nominated.

Speaking of teaching awards, did I mention one of my favorite professors won the university's $30,000 undergraduate teaching award? Yes, you read that figure correctly. Unlike my little award, which I learned about via e-mail, news of this one gets delivered by the Chancellor walking into the classroom. With cake! Wish I had been there to see that. It's well-deserved.

4 comments:

Queen of West Procrastination said...

$30,000! That would be very welcome news.

I'm sorry that you're not finishing when you hoped to be finished. You have no idea how much I can commiserate. (That's what happened to me, last spring. And both my supervisor and first reader were out of the country for the entire month of June.)

ArticulateDad said...

Congratulations on the teaching award. Don't fret over the minor delay. It will still be done. Make sure you allow yourself some time away this summer. Since you've got an extension, so to speak, you can afford to forget it for a week or so, at some point, and just enjoy yourself.

ScienceWoman said...

Sorry about the delay in finishing. I am amazed that your uni lets you walk before defending. Here we need to get the diss turned in by May 4th in order to walk on June 15. And that's the only ceremony all year. Needless to say, I will not be ceremoniously graduating.

Leslie M-B said...

Yes, we're allowed to walk at commencement if our advisers sign a form saying that we'll finish the dissertation by December. It's a small consolation for me, but at least I'll be able to go to the big show for my family.