Saturday, December 30, 2006

Why I'm feeling relaxed right now

Moving is stressful, but I find myself curiously relaxed. Why?

Because for the first time in years, I'm not preparing a syllabus or lesson plans. I'm not trying to read huge chunks of books in order to stay ahead of my students. I'm not putting together a course website or answering questions from students before the quarter even begins.

I'm thrilled that I'm relieved of these responsibilities. I feel genuinely happy, and it's all because I decided to quit adjuncting.

Yes, on Tuesday and every day thereafter I have to clock in at 8 a.m. and out at 5 p.m. (I'm going to miss my naps.) But when I come home at 5:15 or so, I will have zero responsibilities beyond those to my family and friends. Woohoo!

I don't have to think about academic publishing. I don't have to think about the miserable academic job market. I am so friggin' happy about this. I had no idea I'd feel such a release.

Consider this a public service message if you're one of the many people on the academic job market, or stuck in any other professional track that is way too stressful and competitive. Don't be afraid to jump ship, because the water's fine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love hearing this: Jump Ship! I hope to do so as soon as possible. I am not an academic, but I think this advice applies to anyone! Congratulations! Sounds like you made a great decision.

Breena Ronan said...

Hey, I still think your dissertation should be turned into a book. (Eventually) I'm sure it would be an interesting and informative read.

Anonymous said...

Along the lines of breena ronan's comment: I've been wondering what you're thinking about writing these days. Are you planning on writing your eggs piece and your model horses piece and doing more about women in science? That is, are you feeling freed from that kind of academic work? or are you feeling freed from the academic constraints to write those pieces in another voice or another forum?

(This is obviously a question on my mind as I think about jumping ship myself.)

Anyway, I'm glad that you're so happy with your decision and that it's feeling so right to you!

Anonymous said...

That sounds great to me! (Except for having to be at work at 8. Oh to be independently wealthy.) Good for you--thanks for validating my secret plan.

YelloCello said...

Yay! So happy to find you so happy. Kudos to your courage and clear-headedness.