As seen just about everywhere, but most recently at The Doctor Isn't:
First, the rules:
Step 1: Put your MP3 player or whatever on random.
Step 2: Post the first line from the first 25 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Strike through when someone gets them right
Looking them up on Google or any other search engine is CHEATING.
If you don't normally do very well at this game, you might take a gander at #16. Guessing the artist is pretty damn easy.
BTW, if you're a 20th-century Americanist, and you don't know the singer/songwriter in #12 and #20 (same dude), I'm going to have to revoke your folklore credentials. Seriously--the lyric contents just give it away.
My favorite first line from this group is #5 because hey, who doesn't love little baby ducks?
Mr. Trillwing is NOT allowed to play here, though I do tag him for this meme.
One final note: I only brought one of the following artists into my marriage. The elves load up my iPod in the middle of the night, and their tastes are alarmingly similar to Mr. Trillwing's. The iPod elves have (largely) converted me to their tastes.
(I'm bolding the ones that have been correctly identified because I'm not big on the strikethrough thing.)
1. Take an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, just like they say in the Bible.
2. I saw the harbor lights; they only told me we were parting.
3. How did I ever find you? I've been waitin' so long.
4. Oh my fair North star, I have held to you dearly.
5. I love little baby ducks, old pick-up trucks, slow-movin' trains, and rain. (Tom T. Hall, "I Love")
6. Come along and ride this train. (Johnny Cash, "Ride This Train")
7. You wake up in the morning, drink a beer and take a valium. (Tom T. Hall, "Everything From Jesus to Jack Daniels")
8. Every time you touch her sets your hands on fire.
9. I saw you this morning / you were moving so fast.
10. If this isn't love, the whole world is crazy. If this isn't love, I'm daft as a daisy.
11. Love is blindness, I don't want to see / won't you wrap the night around me? (U2, "Love is Blindness")
12. Go to sleep, you weary hobo. (Woody Guthrie, "Hobo's Lullaby")
13. Do the mornings still come early / Are the nights not long enough?
14. I took the Polaroid down in my room / I'm pretty sure you have a new girlfriend.
15. I'll be clickin' by your house about 2:45 / Sidewalk sundae strawberry surprise
16. "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash." (Johnny Cash, Opening Medley, Johnny Cash Show)
17. Don'tcha take it too bad, if you're feeling unlovin'.
18. On the floor of the limo, there's a bottle of whiskey, a white Stetson hat with a fine feathered band.
19. Feelings are strange, especially when they come true
[skipping over a Spirit Nation song in Lakota, since I have no chance of transcribing it correctly]
20. It was early springtime, and the strike was on / it drove us miners out of doors / out from the houses that the company owned. (Woody Guthrie, "Ludlow Massacre")
21. In the rattle of the paddle came a whisper soft and low / from a soldier who had been wounded in the fray. (Johnny Cash, "When the Roses Bloom")
22. Darling, I'm in love with you, and I'll be one with you one day.
23. I want to walk into the light / Day has turned cold; hold back the night.
24. All the snow has turned to water, Christmas days have come and gone.
25. Take my hand and run with me, out of the past called yesterday.