Friday, November 17, 2006

Got. the. job.

Well, it's official: I've been offered the faculty technology training job. Yay me!

The new boss called Fantastic Adviser today to talk with her about what kind of salary I'd expect, and she of course turned right around and called me and told me to ask for a figure that is, well, more than I ever thought to ask for. We negotiated a bit down from there, but it sounds as if I will be compensated well. ("In three years, you'll be making more than I will!" Fantastic Adviser enthused.)

I hadn't yet discussed the potential job with Fantastic Adviser. I had planned on having a one-on-one where we discussed whether this was a good career move, since I'd always envisioned myself teaching undergrads. But on the phone this afternoon, she would hear none of that. She was positively bubbly, telling me that this job was the one I had been training for all these years. Plus, she said, no one who graduates from here gets to stay in town and make any kind of money--so I guess I'm pretty damn lucky.

It was weird sitting through two computing workshops today knowing that I'd probably be co-teaching them in two weeks--especially since the workshops were for a Sakai-based course management system that I'd never used. (The new boss offered me the opportunity to fly to Atlanta during the first week of December for the semiannual Sakai tech conference, but I can't make it happen with my teaching schedule.)

Anyway, I really like the new boss. It seems he already has my back. Plus, he revealed that the program just received the go-ahead to hire two people for this position instead of just me, so he may be bringing someone else on board, a guy who's been doing tech training for 15 years. We'd be able to divide up the responsibilities as we saw fit, but the new boss said he envisioned me taking a leadership role in that partnership, in which case I'd get a salary bump, possibly as soon as 6 months to a year.

It's nice to be happy. It's nice to have a job that isn't adjuncting. (Plus dental! vision! and affordable health insurance!) Now if only I didn't have a big stack of papers to grade by Monday. . .

34 comments:

Rhonda said...

Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I know for a fact that a dental plan can go a long way toward making a person happy.

Anonymous said...

Such great news! I'm so happy for you - Congratulations!

Dr. Peters said...

Congratulations! Great news!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And MORE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ianqui said...

Congratulations! This sounds really great. It's nice to realize you'll be making more money than you've been making recently...

Jeff Mather said...

How wonderful! I hope you're out celebrating.

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Ohmygod! That's fantastic!!! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Mazel tov! This is wonderful news!

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! What wonderful news -- congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Outstanding! Congrats.

Debra said...

Congratulations. Told ya I had a feeling...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

woohooooooo
congrats for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is really good. And exciting. Congratulations.

skookumchick said...

Wahoo! Brilliant!

grumpyABDadjunct said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

Mmm....dental...vision.

Seeking Solace said...

WOOOHOO! Cheers to you!!!

betty said...

hooray! there seeems to be a bit of this going around!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news!!!!! And also great support from Fantastic Advisor. It took me about 20 years to learn to ask for salaries well.

Honeybee said...

YAY!!

And yeah, the odds of hanging around this town and making any money after grad school? VERY slim. Good for you :)

art-sweet said...

Mazel Tov squared! I'm so glad you have an advisor who is tune with who you are!

Are you going to withdraw the applications you have out there, or are you still a teeny bit interested in finding an undergrad teaching position?

ArticulateDad said...

Oh so wonderful! I'm so pleased for you. !!!!!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! Awesome! This is fantastic! More exclamation points!

I confess I've been checking here pretty frequently, waiting to hear this announcement.

I'm so happy for you and the rest of the Trillwing family.

Anonymous said...

congrats from me too! dental insurance is awesome!

Bardiac said...

Congrats! This is fantastic news!

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! So happy for you! :)

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!!!!!! It's nice to have such a savvy genius in the family. Well, done, Leslie. You never fail to astonish with the range of your talents and abilities.

Can't wait to get up there and congratulate you in person.

xo

Anonymous said...

Huzzah! That sounds like a great job, and I'm so excited for you!

deepThoughts said...

Congratulations!!!
I was just catching up on your blog and looks like I missed a lot in the last 3-4 days :) This is wonderful and well-deserved!!

Anonymous said...

Belatedly - congrats!! That sounds AWESOME!