Monday, November 20, 2006

Perspective

Tonight, for the first time in years, I turned myself upside down and convinced myself that the carpet was on the ceiling and that Lucas was defying gravity. It was a refreshing change of perspective. I need to do that more often, only maybe not when I'm sick because I think the snot was backing up into my brain. Mmmmmm: snot-brain.

I also pulled out the sewing machine and made a shoulder bag (kind of conference-bag style) freestyle--no patterns, no real plans, just some wool felt, the machine, and my mind. Aside from a simple bear doll I made from a pattern, it was the first thing I've sewn on a machine. I miss being creative in a crafty way, and I'm looking forward to more evenings of crafting once I move on from teaching to the new job.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want a sewing machine...

maybe i should start knitting again, it is getting cooler.

any pictures of shoulder bag?!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd love to see a picture! I am so jealous of your new job...I haven't had time for scrapbooking since 2004.

ArticulateDad said...

I see you moving into a new you, leaving behind this uncertainty for a new kind of adventure (with its own certainties and uncertainties). I'm excited for you. Keep up the creative craftiness.

Debra said...

Pictures!! I want pictures!!

So, when I come up there in a couple weeks, I hope we go to a couple crafty places??

If you decide you want a simple shoulder bag pattern, I know there is one in my del.icio.us stuff.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Trillwing, sometimes it freaks me out how similar we are. I. Love. hanging upside down to get better perspective. When I was taking creative writing courses, I'd always brainstorm while doing things like that, because it would force me to look at the familiar from another perspective. I also wrote a story while perched on top of my parents' deep freeze. I'd just never spent much time in the storage room before.

And you're making me jealous with the shoulder bag sewing! I planned on making more cloth bags this summer, and then the time ran away from me. They're my most favourite thing to sew. (My plan has been to make one out of an old pair of courderoy pants.)

Heather Clisby said...

I have a cool handbag that an enterprising beach bum in Rio made from discarded pop tops. Have you tried working with trash? I hear its the new black.