Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sturm und Drang

This had to be one of the crappier days of the year. I don't have much energy to blog now, but here's the news from today and the past week:

- I didn't get the job heading the new museum learning institute in San Diego. I found this out within 24 hours of interviewing, which is nice in some ways, but it would be nice to have run with the delusion for a while that my interview went better than that. That said, I did make the final four of 160 applicants. I'm trying to focus on that.

- Mr. Trillwing needs spinal surgery eventually. We're trying to stave it off for as long as possible, but he has the spine of a much, much older man. We're talking arthritis, degeneration, some nasty scoliosis. We saw the x-rays and MRI today, and it was a pretty depressing experience. Mr. Trillwing is worried he'll never be able to be a full father to Lucas because he's won't be as physically active with Lucas as he'd like to be. There is some good news, though: if he exercises more, Mr. Trillwing will possibly reduce the pain and help push a series of cascading spinal surgeries as far into the future as we can.

- The beloved, much respected, and wise director of our teaching center retires in less than a week. He's been a fabulous ally and mentor, and we're all going to miss him. Today we met with the person who will direct the center for the next three years, too, which reminded us that the current director's departure is imminent. It doesn't matter who the next director is--at this point I'd be depressed even if Parker Palmer himself walked into the room as our new supervisor.

- Along with all staff making more than $46,000/year at my institution, I'm taking an 8 percent pay cut, plus furlough days, starting August 1. (Staff under $46,000 will take a 4 percent cut. I know someone who makes about $46,500, which really sucks.) We'll also need to contribute an additional 2 percent to our retirement accounts--which the university had been generously paying for us for several years. So I'll be taking home a check that is 10 percent smaller than usual for at least the next year.

So, it's going to be a frustrating summer here. I need to do some more reflecting to figure out where to go from here.

9 comments:

Bardiac said...

Ouch, rough :(

The exercise thing is helpful to know, at least, though hard to enact day to day for most of us.

Seeking Solace said...

Yikes. That's tough. Hugs!

What Now? said...

Oh dear -- I hope that was in fact the crappiest day you'll have all year. I'm so sorry on all fronts.

Barbara said...

My thoughts are with you. Spinal surgery is NOT fun, but if he is in pain and this is the only way to remediate it, then yeah, I guess you have to go that route. On the up s- de...you still have a job, which while things are a'changing on that front, these days it is a blessing.

Un abrazo, b

Gardner said...

Very sorry to hear about this cascade of bad news. My thoughts are with you, your husband and son, and your university throughout all this upheaval.

comebacknikki said...

Ugh, that sucks! So sorry to hear about all of the bad news. :(

susan said...

I'm so sorry about the job, the pay cut, the medical news...Politica is playing against time on what will become a series of cascading surgeries for her, too (different part of the body, though) and I know the feelings there.

Stacey M said...

Rats! Hang in there! I'm personally bummed about the San Diego job. :(

ArticulateDad said...

That must be miserable. Here's hoping you weather the storm, and see the rising sun. It'll come.