Monday, January 29, 2007

Why I shouldn't write e-mail when I'm tired:

Below is the text of an e-mail I sent this evening to bloggy friend Breena Ronan, who puts up with my shit because she thinks it's a burden for me to hear all her fabulous ideas. Anyway, the e-mail very much encapsulates why I shouldn't be teaching this quarter.

To give some context: I'm lecturing tomorrow in the American studies course I gave up teaching in order to take my new job. The topic is World's Fairs, specifically the 1893 Columbian Exposition, the 1939 fair in New York, and the unofficial "World's Fair" of 1964, also in New York.


I don't wanna read anything else. Wah!

I don't wanna write anything else! Meh!

If I see the word "trylon" one more time, I'm going to hurl.



On the other hand, there is this:



If you had to pick, which of these would you say best represents the World's Fair of today?

  • Vegas
  • Falconcity of WONDERS!
  • Disneyworld/Epcot Center
  • MacWorld and similar tech tradeshows crawling with venture capitalists and consumers

And don't say "Falconcity of Wonders!" just because you want to live in the Dubai Hanging Gardens of Babylon. (BTW, I call dibs on the 6,500 sq. ft. detached villa in the hideous "New World" style.)

trillwing

P.S. Did I mention I don't wanna work right now?

P.P.S. I am sooooo happy with my decision to give up teaching for the time being. Playing blocks with Lucas is far more fun. And more important.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so weird. :)